Thursday, November 26, 2015

Writing About My Recovery

In the early spring of 1998, I hit the wall.  Not literally.  What I mean is, I had a major depressive crash.  I was having vivid thoughts of self-harm and death.  My level of anxiety rose to a fever pitch in a matter of days from the precipitating event.  I was suddenly unable to work effectively.  I had entered a world of depression that I had never before known.

Fortunately, I was able to recognize my need for professional help.  The psychiatrist I called referred me to a nearby mental health hospital and I was immediately admitted to a day program.  Thus began what has now become a 17-year climb from the precipice of suicide to a greater burst of self-esteem and creativity than I have ever known before in my life.

I'm starting this blog to share my thoughts about both the issues that underlay my depression and the actions I took that proved to be most helpful to my recovery.  I'll always be in recovery.  The need for continued progress will never go away.  I am still on medication, though now greatly reduced, and I am still engaged in therapy. 

But my progress against the scourge of depression has been remarkable and the lessons I've learned are, I believe, worth sharing.  My story will, I hope, provide both inspiration to those facing a climb out of depression and also ideas for actions that may help accelerate the process.  I'll share pieces of that story in future postings. 

Be aware, though, that I am not a psychologist or therapist myself and that while I have studied much psychology on my own, I do not represent myself as an expert.  For professional expertise, you should consult a psychiatrist, psychologist or mental health counselor.  What I'll present here are my personal reflections on my own recovery process.

No comments:

Post a Comment